Friday, October 26, 2007

Featured: One Wool Hat



Well, for everyone out there clamoring for a hand spun, hand crocheted, wool hat, there is only ONE in my etsy shop. I have not made any since this one as I am in the middle of a project for my family (see "Other Projects" post).

The wool hat pictured in this posting is made from the yarn I had left from my sheep to shirt project. I started with raw wool (right off the sheep), washed it, dyed it (with kool-aid, aren't the colors awesome and they are wash and color fast) and began to card it.

Hand carding all that wool was a pain in several regions so I sent it away to be made into roving. When I got it back, I spun both the blue and purple into singles and then spun them into yarn before crocheting them into my first sweater.

From the extra yarn, I crocheted this hat. I am only making one hat like this. I may decide to make a matching scarf later, but haven't done so yet. When this particular wool yarn is gone, I won't be able to make more exactly like it.

Click on the picture to enlarge it so you can see the varying thicks and thins of the yarn and its poppin' texture.

No comments: